Thanks to Blink-182 that line has been ingrained in my mind since I was in 3rd grade. 23 was this mysterious age where nobody liked you. I dreaded turning 23. Well my friends, that day finally came. I tried to avoid it by drinking copious amounts of wine but that only resulted in turning 23 with a hangover.
But unlike the person in the Blink-182 song, I don’t still act like I’m in freshman year. So what do I have to show for 23?
- left home at the age of 15 to go to boarding school [15yrs old]
- graduated from a difficult boarding school after living on my own for two years [17 yrs old]
- went off to college in San Diego and started a new life [17yrs old]
- had the typical 4 year college experience and loved every moment of it [17-21yrs old]
- graduated college in 4 years with honors [21yrs old]
- lived in Europe for 3 months and challenged myself to grow [21yrs old]
- moved back home and picked up the pieces [22yrs old]
- got a job with a start-up 6 months ago [22yrs old]
- got named a Founding Member of the start-up 3 months ago [22yrs old]
So here’s me: I am 23 years old. I am a founder of an M&A start-up firm. I live at home with my parents. I am single as hell. Every day is a new adventure. Some days I am unprepared to face that adventure. Other days I kick adventure in the ass. Most days I smile. Most days I am happy.
So what does 23 hold for me? I hope I can move out of my parent’s house. I hope I can become more settled in my job. I hope my company really takes off like I believe it will. I hope I can meet someone who will make me believe that I can love. But most of all I hope to be happy.